Friday, July 24, 2009

Phrases A Sales Rep Should NEVER Use

You might get a kick out of some of these. Feel free to leave your own suggestions as a comment (see "below").

- "My product is the cheapest."

- "You need this." (Let them make their own decision)

- "We can't do that"

- "That gives me a problem"

- "The competitor's products don't work"

- "How much are you willing to pay?"

- "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it." - even as a joke

- "That's less than out cost"

- "I doubt our competitor can meet this price/package ...."

- "What's it going to take to get the deal done?"

- "When do you think your husband would be available to go over this?"

- "Trust me." ; "In all honesty, ..." ; "To be honest with you, ..." ; etc.
All of these, or any variation of them, implies to me that there's a good chance you haven't been up to that point.

- "You'll never regret this."

- "So-and-so's (our competitor's) products can't hold a candle to ours"

- "You really shouldn't delay on this."

- "Tell you what I'm going to do... just for you... because I like you."

- "Let me just take a second of your time ..."

- "This is the best deal you are going to find ..."

- "Let me go talk to my manager and see if I can talk him into a ..."

- "But wait, there's more!"

Now, all kidding aside ........ Its not really about the phrases a sales person uses (other than telling them they're wrong), but rather about the theme of the conversation. A good sales person will partner with the client to find a solution that fits the client's needs. If a sales person can't measurably close the gap between where the client is and wants to be, they need to pass on the sale. Anything outside of this theme may get business in the short term, but long term business will not be as strong.