Friday, December 2, 2005

Synapse: Current Issue

Kelan's got a new article on the entertainment scene in SF.



One of the best things about being at UCSF is the city; San Francisco boasts an amazing array of entertainment outlets for all tastes. I still remember the excitement of moving out to SF a few weeks before classes because I couldn't wait to immerse myself in the music scene. The evening after I arrived, I headed out to Bimbo's 365 in the North Beach neighborhood (hoping I could figure out the bus system to get there). That night I witnessed an excellent electronic/post-rock concert by Mum in one of the city's finest venues, and also had the chance to talk about the City with Belle & Sebastian singer Stuart Murdoch on the street during my trek home; it was great to be living in San Francisco. Over the past year I've been to countless concerts, films and visual arts events, and now I want to share my city entertainment guide with the UCSF community.

I'll start with the form of entertainment I enjoy the most, music. The music scene here in the Bay Area is quite unique and includes especially strong contributions in the genres of hip-hop, electronica and psych-rock. Some of the key players include artists like DJ Shadow with his Quannum Projects label, kid606 and his Tigerbeat6 label, along with rock bands like Erase Errata, Deerhoof, and Animal Collective.